Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sharing

Interestingly enough - much of our class thus far has dealt with the issue of sharing - the sharing of ones knowledge, resources, and support. Tonight's class emphasized the importance of this act. It speaks volumes when people take time out of their already busy day to share their personal experiences with others. I greatly appreciated the opportunity to make contact with those who were 'once in my place' even though I was just a parasite and 'lurked' about in the chat room, eavesdropping (or would it be eavesreading) on their thoughts and opinions.

My confidence level definitely grew when I heard how far your previous students had come in such a short period of time - some of whom possessed the same skill level, apprehension and attitude as myself. Like many others suggested, I can see how a class such as this one can drastically alter one's perspective of teaching and learning - I only wish I had been exposed to it earlier in the program! I also enjoy your teaching style of self-exploration. Let's face it - you only get out of a class, what you put in to it! You (as well as fellow classmates) provide ample opportunities, tools and applications to examine - it is up to us to explore and pick those that fit our needs and interests.
Establishing a PLN definitely allows for the building of strong relationships - many of which are with people we will never meet in person, yet feel so close to on-line. It fosters a comfortable, supportive feeling that allows me to grow in my profession and personal life. As Cindy stated, "it is an intellectual challenge -- putting your ideas out there and having them challenged". Being completely 'immersed' in technology may be intimidating and scary at first, but the equipment we use today is so forgiving should we make a mistake and the assistance available is overwhelming. I understand how this class is an opportunity to freely 'get out of our comfort level' and experiment with new tools - not those that we are 'forced' to use - but those that we may actually find useful/valuable in our everyday lives. In an odd way - this class is all about 'play' (as Kyle so eloquently put it). It is so nice to hear that many of your previous students are continuing their journey into 'technology' and have kept up their participation.
One thing I did really reflect upon at the end of the class was Shaun's statement about technology communication and the absence of body language and tone, leading to misunderstood or misinterpreted messages. Being the sarcastic person that I am - it is an area I must definitely be aware of - as people who don't know me may be easily offended by my often flippant remarks. Thanks for the heads up!

No comments: