Saturday, March 7, 2009

Responsibility ???

Here is some food for thought . . .

We've discussed the issue of internet safety and the protection of privacy on-line -- what happens in such cases when we are requiring a student to complete projects (blogs, wikis, photo editing, etc.) for credit in a class where some aspect of the student's life is revealed on line? Do we avoid these types of assignments at all costs? For example, in this class, we share our thoughts in a blog, share a journal in googledocs and start a project to share with others such as a wiki (which I am attempting to make for my project) which is available for all to see. What would happen if I did all the required work to pass the course, but in the meantime, was found by someone through my on-line identity - would I be held responsible for revealing too much of myself or would the university be responsible for asking me to 'expose' myself on line?

1 comment:

Kim said...

Good question, Leanne. I am interested in learning from our guest speaker this evening as I have begun to place my own students in a similar situation. Where does my responsibility lie in protecting my students?