Friday, March 13, 2009

Multitasking

The ability to effectively engage in numerous tasks at one time - something I thought I was totally incapable of - happened during Tuesday night's class!

I've always been the type to finish one project before moving on to the next - it gave me a sense of accomplishment or maybe pride is the word I am looking for - proud that I successfully completed a thought! I tend to get flustered when confronted with too many options or tasks at once. I did discover, however, during this week's session, that I can carry on more than one task at a time and be quite successful at it! I think about the students in my class and me, standing at the front -waiting for total eye contact before delivering my lesson. Maybe my class is paying attention, but in their own way -while doing something else! Dare I say, they are multitasking!

I found myself asking students lots of questions this week at school. I asked them about what I had just said or about what was going on on the other side of the room - and surprisingly - they had a pretty good grasp of all the actions taking place - and here I thought it was always just the teacher with eyes in the back of her head. I noticed this too in the computer lab at noon - students would be talking with their friends, working on the computer, and scribbling something down - all while music was blasting from their earbuds! Technology has enabled me to carry on multiple tasks. I do research, listen to my class, comment on blogs, write my own blog, follow the conversation in the chat room, and converse with my fiance. . . while still watching a batch of cookies in the oven! Technology has somewhat allowed me to do this . . . but sometimes I wonder if it is too much! Are all these jobs completed as efficiently?

No comments: