Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Need a Manual

I am completely puzzled and frustrated!

After visiting the doctor this week and discovering that I was inflicted with the oh so contagious strep throat, I decided to phone in sick and catch some shut eye on my comfy couch in front of Oprah. My substitute graciously agreed to pick up my lesson plan from my house in the morning and out of respect (and the threat of a lawsuit from slipping), I decided to give her some light and turned on the outside light - or not! See, my fiance is this techno geek who insists upon turning the house into something from the 22nd century (can you feel my hostility?). See, he has our lights somehow computerized - and is mighty proud of this feat I might add - but neglects to see my point of view - my helpless point of view! Not only am I unable to turn on the outside lights, but I am also unable to turn up the heat, activate the door bell, deactivate the cameras (that catch me no matter where I hide in the yard and picks up the pizza boy a block away) or water the lawn! I feel completely useless in my own home! I try to understand how to work these functions, but being that everything is automated, do I really need to know? Don't get me wrong - it is incredibly cool what this house can do - if you know how to use it! Is it sad when a house - an inanimate object - is smarter than me? (Don't answer this - it is a rhetorical queston!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I can do anything on a computer,but I have a lot of trouble working the universal control for the TV. I always have to depend on my spouse to fix any problems. And it makes me feel stupid.