Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Here I Am - Now What?

Well, with the new year comes a new course - EC&I831 to be exact! Learning definitely is a lifelong endeavor. This term, I'm attempting to open my mind to all the possibilities technology brings. I'm completely ignorant to all that is available and thought I had already stretched my mind to its limit in the last class when I learned how to make a power point. Every time I think I get ahead in the game - something new comes out! I get so frustrated because everyone seems so much further ahead of me and my 'new' ways quickly become obsolete. As unbelievable as it sounds, I still don't know how to download music or burn a CD - I am perfectly content living in my little cocoon --- however, as I am being exposed to the wealth of information and technology out there, I am realizing the vast opportunities and potential. I imagine all the cool things I could be doing with my students but either lack the confidence to start something new, lack the time needed to learn a new program or lack the desire (so sad) to break away from the old - the comfortable! It takes a while to convince me that the 'new' ways are best - but eventually, I come around. I am up for the challenge!

3 comments:

SKing said...

Leanne, your blog looks like you know a thing or two about technology. I agree though that it is frustrating trying to keep up with the technology of the day. I like to think of it like a race; I'm so far behind I think I'm ahead! I look forward to seeing more of your thoughts.

megan gerwing said...

Leanne I totally understand how you feel about technology. I was really excited last class when I learned to use animation in a powerpoint. A class like this is good for me though. It forces me out of my comfort zone and so far I have been able to keep up adequately well as I am sure you have also. I still don't understand the techie talk...maybe someday.

Todd Handspiker said...

Hi Leanne I totally agree with you about the fast pace that technology changes. I think that this is one of the main primary reasons that most people find technology frustrating and scary. I know when I bought my laptop last year I made a promise to myself not to visit the Dell website knowing full well that the price of "my" laptop would be much cheaper. So what am I saying? Be confindant in what you know and ignore what you don't know. Don't be afraid to expose yourself to technology but take your time, learn what YOU want to learn and it will come to you. This is a lesson that took me some time to learn.

Todd