Friday, January 16, 2009

Cell Phones

Today was semester change in my school - and with a new group of students, comes a review of my class rules and expectations. Among my many rules is the use of cell phones - or rather - the ban of cell phones. I understand that social networking is important and that we must encourage this interaction among our students . . . but is the classroom the place to be doing this? I don't permit the use of phones in my class -- but is it because they cause too much of a disturbance and I want to hog the attention . . . or is it because I don't fully understand their capabilities? Interestingly enough, I had a cooking question one day (I teach Food Studies), and although kids volunteered to phone their parents for answers, I refused it! Why? Should kids be allowed to use them freely?


Now, being able to use a cell phone may categorize me as a technologically advanced person (according to my personal definition), but it is truly sad when I look at how I use the phone. I use it as just that - a phone! I don't have any phone numbers stored in it, I don't have any videos or photos, I don't know how to use the hands-free dialing and I have never touched the appoinment book or notepad . . . but on the bright side - I did learn how to text message - and that was taught to me by a student (yeah, I know - NO phones in the classroom - goes to show you how strict I am). I had no idea that there were short cuts like that ABC arrow up thing to finish the words off for me, nor did I know what lmao or l8r were. I am learning - s l o w l y!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You wanna see something cool for your phone? Check out pollanywhere.com