Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Am Evolving!

I may not have existed in the era of the abacus . . . but I have been around for a long time . . . and during that time, I have witnessed many changes in technology and programming. (Note the word witnessed - because I didn't actually use a computer - I just had friends who did!) Since that time, I progressed from Atari to MacIntosh and finally to what I have sitting in front of me today - what I refer to as an incredibly expensive paperweight - an iMac! (I got it for Christmas in 2007 and have turned it on only three times - I am avoiding having to learn something new since I am somewhat used to my laptop - by the end of this class, I will muster the gumption to learn some of its unique capabilities!)

This reflection comes about because of Dr. Couros' talk about all the different types of applications available today to simplify our lives. Although leery about learning new programs, because they seem to become obsolete so quickly, I have come to realize that these tools are easily accessible, free, convenient and very user friendly. All it takes is the time to explore and play. Computers are so forgiving . . . when I experience difficulties, all I do is swear, slam the keyboard, force quit and walk away . . . I know my faithful companion will be right back to normal when I flip it on next time. (If only real life were like that!) With a little patience, it doesn't take much to learn new applications, and even if something newer and better comes along, they serve a purpose in the meantime and lead to a euphoric feeling of accomplishment. Seeing a finished product is the best motivator to continue learning. This blog is a prime example. Even after this class, I will continue to keep an up-to-date log on my life!

No comments: