Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Connectivism and Connective Knowledge

Whoa! Talk about technology overload! Don't get me wrong, the presentation was interesting and the concepts were thought provoking, but the lingo was far beyond my comprehension. I didn't even know what 2.0 meant!

Social networking via technology has become somewhat of a hobby, or as some would say, a necessity. It focuses on the building of relationships or communities through a variety of online and open source programs (I hope I am using the lingo properly). It brings together people who share similar interests and wish to expand their circle of acquaintences to learn more about others or contribute to others. This class is a perfect example of social networking. As a matter of fact, I am astounded by the number of participants we have from all over the world. Their perspective, insight and interest in what we are doing is remarkable (and voluntary on their part - illustrating the dedication some people have to learning with others and helping others). Also, after being welcomed into the Twitter world by Dr. Couros, I was able to touch base with people I never would have imagined - and so quickly!

I am very new to Twittering and like most others in the class, Elluminate. After seeing the capablilities these programs have - I envision myself using them in the classroom. Unfortunately, at this point, it is only a vision. By the end of this class, I think it would be neat to conduct my own Elluminate session with my colleagues. Of course, I would have to learn more about it and cross my fingers that something newer and better doesn't come out in the meantime - but the concept is amazing! Even more amazing is the fact that I got it working (with a little help from my friends). I am not adverse to learning new things - I am just scared, leery, intimidated and easily frustrated.

The points that George Siemens made in his session, Connectivism and Connective Knowledge, about the capabilities we have today of communicating with others, giving content away for free and the role of teachers is what hit home the most. What will our role as educators be in the future? How much further advanced can we possibly become? Are we relying so heavily on technology that we have no reason for true human interaction?

No comments: