Thursday, February 5, 2009

A World Where People Subscribe to People, Not Magazines

Shareski made an excellent point when he made the comment about the world being a place where people subscribe to people, not to magazines! There is so much to learn from others, all we have to do is reach out and ask for the help. Why don't we?

I know in my case, it is a lack of confidence that prevents me from asking others for assistance. I am apprehensive about making the request because I worry about my question being stupid - a question that I should already know the answer to. I am very self-conscious about my abilities and am reluctant to share for fear of judgment. I am intimidated by the wealth of knowledge some people have. For now, I enjoy sitting back and taking in all that I can, but still feel a twinge of guilt for not reciprocating to all those who have helped and guided me thus far. With time and successes come confidence. As well, comments greatly add in this growth. As mentioned in the session, having an audience makes an immense impact on my learning. Knowing that someone is actually reading my thoughts and taking the time to provide feedback to help me with my growth, makes me want to reach out to others and provide the same respect to them.

I recall the old days of sharing, when everything was kept under lock and key, and you didn't dare breathe a word of what your lesson would be for that day - for fear of it being used by another teacher - and then being stumped during class when you realized someone had used the same handouts/lessons/activities the year prior. Now-a-days, sharing isn't so much of an isolated act. It is also much broader, in that it is more of a collaboration between people rather than just a handing-down of information. It is a way of improving our practices and our profession. It is a way of keep in tune with current changes, needs and impacts. It saves time and it imparts a (for lack of a better word) warm and fuzzy feeling!

To all those who have shared with me in the past -- especially when I started my new job as a clueless consultant and non-cooking food studies teacher -- thank you! You have made a difference in my teaching and you have changed my attitude toward helping others - it is a practice I will try to 'pay forward' in the future!

No comments: