Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Interesting Points to Ponder

During tonight's class, several comments were made in the chat room that are worthy of addressing.

The question, "Has technology changed the learner -- for the better or the worse?" was raised. When I reflect back on my childhood (pre-texting), I smile at the simplicity of it all. Life seemed so much easier back then (even though I'm sure people worked much harder - at least from my perspective). Has technology taken us a step back? Do we rely too heavily on it?

Stephen King eluded to the fact "that teachers are often dinosaurs before they even start (technologically speaking!)" If this is the case, how do we adequately prepare our teachers for the world they will face? How do we keep up with the times when the times are changing exponentially?

The last idea that really struck me was "you have to be energetic about the change yourself to make it work . . . pass on the enthusiasm!" How true this is!!! This class has inspired me try new things and I can already see my growth in just a few months - as can my students. I have brought more technology into my classroom and have given my overhead a well-deserved break. I use the LCD projector more than ever before (okay . . . twice), I show youtube videos in class, I am attempting to make videos with my French students, and I am starting up a cooking wiki. The students are excited when I walk into the class with a new gadget and big bright eyes indicating I have just learned something new. They become excited because of my reactions. It kind of reminds me of when I was younger and I'd watch my brother eat turnips with a smile - before eagerly trying them myself (only to find out that I hated them - but at least I tried - okay, maybe this wasn't such a great example but you get the idea --- show enthusiasm about something and it is sure to be catchy!)

1 comment:

Kim said...

I remember as a student at the junior high that we wrote notes to each other on a regular basis. We passed the notes in the hall as you would never want to be caught passing them in class. I think texting is the new passing of notes - except the kids are saving paper!
Teachers may be dinosaurs before we leave university, but at the same time, how do we prepare teachers when we don't even know how to prepare kids for high school? How many "Did you Know?" videos have drilled that home?
I agree with the enthusiasm - how can you not want to follow someone who looks like they're having fun - and whose students look like they're enjoying learning?