Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Privacy

As noted in class, there are many issues surrounding digital media literacy. The most applicable in my life, would be that of privacy. Wikipedia defines privacy as "the ability of an individual or group to seclude themselves or information about themselves and thereby reveal themselves selectively". Unfortunately, the internet is a massive sieve that allows information - both factual and fictional - to flow freely, sometimes, unannounced to the stakeholder.

I am well aware of the fact that anything and everything entered on the internet is cached away someplace in computer land and can be instantly recovered - even years later! It is vital, for this reason, that users are aware of the implications that may ensue should they decide to post anything personal about themselves, or about others for that matter. This is where my concern lies. As mentioned, I understand the repercussions of posting factual, fictional and/or questionable material - however - I am leary about the postings of others.

Just the other day, I had students bring cameras with them to class. I don't mind them taking pictures, and even find it a bit flattering that they would find my class interesting enough to document through photographs. I'm also known as a teacher who likes to goof around with her students (I'm trying to relive my youth), and you'll often find me restraining students, headlocking students - you know - the things teachers normally don't do. This, however, is always done in good taste. Everyne in the photos are laughing and having a great time. After the class discussion this week, I starting reflecting on my actions. What if one of these photos ever made it to facebook or some other social network where it became a - dare I say - viral photograph! What would the implications be for me? Viewers don't necessarily know - or care to know - the context in which the pictures were taken and they may be perceived in an unfavorable manner. Where do my rights lie? I know now that I will be more consciously aware of cameras in the classroom, but fear losing my 'personality' due to my fright of appearing on the net.

How is it fair that someone else can post photos or information about myself without my knowledge or permission?

Just recently, I also managed to find a picture of myself in grade four, smiling sheeishly in the front row - and it wasn't me who posted the photo! Someone else had taken the liberty to post a photo of their class from decades (whew, that was difficult to type) ago and attached our names to it. Where is my right to be censored? How can I protect my privacy when I don't know when I'm being exposed?

1 comment:

Todd Handspiker said...

Hey Leanne I totally agree with you how scary the world could be with information and pics circling around that may be about oneself or contain oneself. The idea of protecting privacy issues is at the heart of many legal cases.

I seem to recall within the past year or so with Google Earth/Street/etc. that people were having issues with having streets and pedestrians photographed. I know I would not want my pic on a one of Google Earth's street views or whatever it was. I think some sort of concern or legal challenge came out of California about such an issue as Google was simply posting pics of streets, with people on it, without protecting individuals' identities. Gogle earth later changed the picture and blurred faces out.

I think it is important that governments actually step up and start clearly identifying what can and cannot be done in this digital age of information.