Sunday, February 8, 2009

Where Are We Going?

I just perused a rather lengthy reading by Stephen Downes entitled The Future of Online Learning: Ten Years On' that outlines some of the changes that have taken place in technology over the past ten years. It made some interesting revelations and made me reflect on my personal experiences with technology.

We are required to have a minimum of two computers in each classroom. Years ago, I may have jumped for joy to have this opportunity, but today, I am down right annoyed. The computers take up too much space and we never use them!!! I tried to get administration to remove them - but to no avail! Instead, I have two unplugged computers, but with awesome storage capabilities (they are on a cart with a shelf that I can stack full of paper resources) sitting at the back of my room. I believe it is my lack of experience and confidence that prevent me from flicking the switch, so they'll just sit there and collect dust for now.

Sometimes, we require computers for assignments -- being a french teacher -- I find them rather hindering. My students not only use them for research, but they also use them as translators. This wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that when I ask students to read to me what they have written, they have no idea what their own paper says. How is the translation function helping them here? How do I prevent them from using this feature? How do I make them understand the value of doing the work the hard way - using the dictionary (either online or paper version)? How do I keep them on task?

Yes, technology does have its benefits . . . but when do I find the time to learn how to use it effectively? A parent made a comment the other day about the school website and how teachers should be updating it daily. I'm sure she saw my sour facial expression - but unfortunately, I didn't have time to explain it. To begin with, many teachers have no training or time, many teachers come in early to prep, supervise during breaks, run intramurals, coach after school, correct in the evening . . . and surprisingly, try to have a life outside school! Not all teachers get preps and when they do have them, there are so many things to do that blogging and posting assignments don't take precedence. I see the value in keeping up-to-date information on line, but people have to realize that time is a real issue - especially when learning something new!

Don't get me wrong, our division is very supportive when it comes to technology. We have a wonderful technology consultant who is more than willing to come out anytime to help out with classes or provide PD, we have excellent equipment and cool gadgets, we have student laptops available, the list is quite lengthy of the supports we have . . . but the issue remains . . . lack of time and experience (and confidence in my case)!

I guess I started rambling (since this entry was supposed to be about Stephen's revelations), but I do recommend taking a read of his article. It is interesting - and understandable!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a very deep thought. I am so impressed with the way your school uses the technology at hand. I know that you as a creative and inspiring teacher you will explore other ways to use what is at hand. Weyburn SK

jackie said...

Interseting! My question as an administrator is "What can I do to support teachers in using technology?" I am doing my best to learn about technology in this class but I also find that time is a huge factor.