Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Crossing the Finish Line

Class has quickly come to an end . . . and with that end, comes a new beginning!

During the past four months, my journey into technology has lead me to a deeper understanding of the 21st century. We are definitely not a static society, but rather, an ever evolving, complex community! It is important that I 'jump on board' before the train has passed and I am left standing in the dust. I must begin to establish a comfort level with 'the inevitable'.

You asked us to describe our growth during this class . . . physically, I have gained a few pounds and lost a few fingernails . . . but mentally, I have gained a new appreciation for what my students go through everyday. I stand at the front of my class every morning, regurgitating facts and figures, waiting for the 'light to come on' for my students - sometimes wondering if the filament in the bulb is broken. I get frustrated and impatient when they don't instantly grasp a concept. I don't understand their lack of interest or drive. I wonder why they often resist my instruction.

Through this class, I have put myself in my students' place. I have sat in on the class that I never understood with terminology that flew over my head. I have wondered about the relevancy of the teachings. I have been slow on the 'pick up' of many new ideas. I avoided change and hid from technology.

I didn't have much of a choice in this class though, but to attempt to embrace the change and feign interest. Surprisingly, this feeling didn't last! I did in fact rekindle a genuine love of learning and became interested in all that technology could do for me to make my life easier, my teaching more interesting, and help capture my audiences' attention.

By having an opportunity to explore new applications at will . . . and figuring out how they fit in the overall picture (their relevancy), I was able to incorporate much of my learnings/findings into my current teachings. I see the connection and the necessity of many of these new tools. Although I did experience much frustration and often walked away from my troubles, I never gave up. In spite of my apprehensiveness and stubbornness, I conquered my fears and tried out many new ideas.

Technology is forgiving! The 'undo' button has become my best friend. With a little patience and a lot of time, it truly doesn't take much to learn new ideas. Additionally, having the support of peers in my class (even those I've never met) and strangers on line, has encouraged me to expand my boundaries and take more chances. It is amazing how many people are available at the 'push of a button' to offer advice and a helping hand - and for that - I am grateful - thank you! The benefits of sharing and establishing an on-line community (PLN) proved invaluable on my journey!

I have been exposed to a plethora of new applications, made a wealth of new acquaintances, and lost my fear of taking risks. I learned that I do have the ability to learn and be creative - and if I can't - I can always find a program that will learn and be creative for me!

Thank you for introducing me to the 21st century, and I hope to continue getting acquainted with its many capabilities! This is not an ending to my learning - but only a beginning!!!

You will find my final project in a wiki I created for my Home Economics class. It is a piece of work I am very proud of. Take some time to check it out - you may even find something useful to you!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I have really enjoyed reading your blog postings and I have learned a lot from you - thank you! I can relate to this post as I think we have come a long way during this course (January seems like it was a LONG time ago!)and I think my butt has widened from sitting on my computer chair! Keep blogging; I'll follow! And I plan to use your wiki to help me cook for my family.

Shaun Loeppky said...

I love your comment " technology is forgiving". It is a statement of experience and understanding. It also, in my view, an invitation to educators to seek how technology can be further integrated into their practice and engage our students.
Great insight.

erectile dysfunction drug said...

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post and also the rest of the website is extremely good.

erection pills said...

This is a topic that is near to my heart... Take care! Where are your contact details though?

erectile dysfunction remedies said...

I read this post fully regarding the comparison of newest and earlier technologies, it's amazing article.