Saturday, October 18, 2008

Making Real Connections

Since beginning this blog, my views and opinions of curriculum have somewhat altered, or perhaps, become more fine tuned. I believe it is of significant importance to make sure learning is relevant, authentic and connected to everything the students may encounter - be it at work, with the family or in the community. Not all curriculum, unfortunately, is developed to meet these needs in every student - which is understandable. But it is vital that we, as teachers, be given the freedom to alter and adapt the content, delivery and assessment procedures to meet the diverse needs of our students. Making learning applicable and relevant to all students is my primary concern. How practical is what I am teaching? Is it authentic? Is it something that can be used immediately in everyday life?

It has been proven that discovering relationships between concepts or subject areas enriches students' learning and helps them better relate to the world outside of school. Are we adequately and effectively promoting this? Are we making the connections apparent? Interdisciplinary projects that cross content areas promote such thinking strategies as critical thinking, personal perspectives / judgements, and analytical observations. This knowledge, hopefully, transfers to real world applications. Students are exposed to higher order thinking and develop the necessary skills to survive in an ever-changing world. How integrated are my teachings?

Curriculum must also make allowances and inclusions for our multicultural society. Possessing an awareness of the cultural differences that exist in our society is vital. As well, parental and community involvement is crucial. The benefits of this connections are innumerable and greatly enhance student achievement. I continue to strive to include parents/guardians in the class and make regular contact with the home but due to time constraints (haven't we heard that one before?), I often tend to focus on student behaviour as opposed to achievement. How can I encourage more 'home' and community participation? What is the communities role?

So now what? How have my readings changed my personal perspective on curriculum? I think we are too concerned with meeting the provincial needs and attempting to meet these needs within a specified amount of time. I think it is more important to let students dictate the direction we are taking - with some guidance of course! Taking the time to allow students input into their learning is fundamental. Making learning relevant and purposeful is primary. I guess this is where we as teachers come in - altering the curriculum as we see fit for our demograhics - making ourselves unique curriculum writers!

2 comments:

njinn said...

Hi Leanne,

I have found it interesting how drastically my world has changed since entering each course of study in this program!
Before entering this program I entertained the idea of someday writing curriculum. I now run from that idea and instead would like to help teachers understand curriculum by writing resource material for arts education. If every teacher could go through the alterations we have, what would curriculum look like?

darcy helmink said...

Well, if you guys think your world has changed, what about me?? With no education background,this stuff is kind of mind blowing,but good??? darcy